Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Homemade Potato Soup

   I love the winter season.  Our local news station keeps assuring me we will have snow this week, though I have yet to see any.  The snow I had in my backyard has melted, and my grass is green.  Not really sure how the grass is green, yet it is.  Anyways, thick fluffy snow, cool temperatures and Christmas decorations make me crave yummy, thick, and hearty soup.


Baked Potato Soup with Ham

   My favorite soup is Baked Potato, and over the last few years I have perfected my recipe.  In all honesty, I modified a older recipe I had, and created something catered to my families' taste.


Baked Potato Soup 

                                  5-6 baked potatoes cubed     1 tsp. of minced garlic          
                                  3 cups of chicken broth          1 tsp. of basil
                                  3 cups of milk                        1 tsp. of salt
                                  2 Tbsp.'s of butter                  shredded cheese
                                  2 Tbsp.'s of flour                    sour cream
                                  6 strips of bacon or ham

Combine chicken broth, 2 cups of milk, butter, garlic, basil and salt.  Heat over medium heat.  Mix flour and remaining cup of milk and add to broth.  (Tip: I put the flour and milk in a container with a lid and shake.  This helps the flour to fully dissolve into the milk.  This tip works for making gravy, as well.)  Add already cooked potatoes to mixture and let simmer 30 minutes.  Cook bacon and crumble, I do not add the bacon into the soup, instead I use it as a topper just before I serve this dish.  This method keeps the bacon nice and crisp.  After soup is heated dish into bowls, top with sour cream, cheese and bacon crumbles.  Enjoy!



Tip:  This is a great recipe to use with leftover Christmas ham instead of bacon. 


Blessings to you and yours! 

2 comments:

Taylor said...

I have lots of ham! Thanks!
And where are you at? There is TONS of snow!
Dork.

His girl said...

Taylor- I wrote the post last night with a great plan to take picutures of my green grass in the morning. The best of plans can be foiled, alas, I woke up to this beautiful winter wonderland, and was just to lazy to change my post. :)